Browse (17 total)
- Northern Illinois University-School of Education Collection
The Northern Illinois University School of Education received its charter in 1895 as the Northern Illinois State Normal School with classes beginning in September 1899. The first class of 16 students completed their studies in 1900. In 1921, the school changed its name to Northern Illinois State Teachers College before eventually becoming Northern Illinois University in 1957. The university established the College of Education in 1959.
The photographs in this collection include images of student teaching in laboratory school classrooms from approximately 1905-1910. Academic subjects featured in the photographs include mathematics, chemistry, physical education, English, history, and art. The images are labeled using their original photo captions.
Help improve access to historic documents by transcribing handwritten pages (look for START TRANSCRIBING or CONTINUE TRANSCRIBING documents) and reviewing the transcriptions of others (look for NEEDS REVIEW documents). Sign in or create an account and then select an item below to get started.